The best advice I ever received. The 10%.

12.1.13




































Last year I was doing an internship in a company for a month, truly, I didn't learned very much and also hadn't a very good experience, but one day a fellow gave me the best advice ever given to me about work. He explained that he always had a job in this company and it was because he always gave 10% more than what they asked. For example, if someone asked for a coffee, he always brought with cream on the top, which distinguished him from other students making coffees.

So I think it's very important to give the 10% more than what people expect of you, both in business and in life. If you do it, people will remember and think of you, they remember that you sent a personalized card with an order, an extra present, or that cream on the top of the coffee that only you do. This does not mean to kill you making gifts or being a suck up, you have to make it with your heart and doesn't have to cost too much money or unnecessary efforts.

For example, when someone make me request I send a note to the person who bought me something with his name, handwritten and saying thank you for choosing me. I also reward with a discount to customers if they want to buy something back, something that this person don't expect and that is appreciated.
I think the details and the 10% brighten anyone's day and cost almost nothing :)


El año pasado estuve haciendo unas prácticas en una empresa durante un mes, la verdad, no aprendí mucho y tampoco tuve una muy buena experiencia, pero un día un compañero me dio el mejor consejo que me han dado nunca en cuanto al trabajo. Me explicó que a él siempre le llamaban para trabajar en esa empresa y era porque él siempre daba el 10% más de lo que le pedían. Por ejemplo, si le pedían un café, él siempre lo traía bien calentito y con espuma por encima, lo que le diferenciaba del resto de estudiantes que hacían cafés.

Por eso creo que es muy importante dar un 10% más de lo que la gente espera de ti, tanto en un negocio como en la vida. Si lo haces, la gente te recuerda y piensa en ti, se acuerdan de esa tarjeta personalizada que le enviaste junto a un pedido, un regalito extra, o esa espuma del café que solo le traes tú. Esto no quiere decir que te mates a hacer regalos ni que seas un pelota, tiene que salir de ti y tampoco tiene que costarte ni demasiado dinero ni esfuerzos innecesarios.


A mi, por ejemplo, cuando me hacen un pedido me encanta enviar una nota a la persona que me ha comprado algo, con su nombre, escrita a mano y agradeciéndole que me eligiese a mi. También suelo recompensar con un descuento a los clientes, por si quieren volver a comprar algo, es algo que esa persona no espera y que se agradece.
Creo que los detalles y los 10% alegran el día de cualquiera y no cuestan casi nada :)




































(gratuitous photo of Mika, because she is the best!)
If you want to say thank you to someone, you can download the cards I made here for free.

(Foto gratuita de Mika, porque es la mejor!)
Si queréis dar las gracias a alguien, podéis descargaros las tarjetas que hice aquí gratis.

Lauryn.

3 comentarios:

Luzmaría Alam dijo...

Eso es muy cierto :) gracias!!!

Amanda dijo...

That is some absolutely amazing advice! I'm going to try to incorporate that with my work.

Niken dijo...

that's so nice. i know how happy we can feel when someone send us a personal thank you note